Epoxy Flooring Durability
If you're considering installing epoxy flooring in your home, you might be wondering how tough it is. Can it stand up to kids, pets, and dropped objects? Let's take a look at epoxy flooring durability and how it compares to other flooring options.
HOW DURABLE IS EPOXY FLOORING?
If you have concrete floors that you want to be able to use in your garage or kitchen, then epoxy is a great option. It comes in many different styles so you will be able to find something that fits your taste perfectly.
The recent domestic flooding around Brisbane has caused many people to consider the advantages of having epoxy floors in their homes, such as:
- epoxy floors provide excellent resistance to staining and chemicals compared with hardwood or laminate. This makes them ideal for kitchens where spills are common.
- Epoxy floors are strong and durable and resist water damage.
- Epoxy helps stop the growth of mold and mildew in your home by locking out moisture.
- Epoxy does not swell when it gets wet so there is no movement between the floor and walls.
- Easy cleanup when compared with carpets, wooden floors and tiles where moisture has penetrated below the surface. Wood flooring has a tendency to expand when it gets wet, pushing up against walls and causing cracks in the drywall.
- Flooded tiles can debond from the substrate, grout can crack or dislodge, tiles can crack and peak off the floor allowing contamination to enter the tiling system.
The durability of your epoxy flooring depends on two main factors. The first factor is the type of epoxy floor you choose. Is it a standard epoxy or an industrial-grade epoxy? The second factor is the quality and amount of prep work involved in the installation process. Is the surface clean and level? A professional Epoxy Flooring business like Clean and Coat can evaluate your existing floor and come up with a solution that will work best for you!
DOES EPOXY FLOORING SCRATCH EASILY?
We have had a few customers ask us this question.
Epoxy flooring is extremely durable and can last for many years without showing any signs of damage but it can be scratched if not taken care of properly.
As with most types of floors, there are ways to protect your epoxy from being scratched or damaged by common household objects. One way to do this is by using padded mats at all entrances and exits in your home. This will prevent small stones lodged in shoes and other hard objects from damaging your flooring. You can also try placing furniture pads on the legs of all heavy furniture items so they do not scratch your floors when they are moved around.
HOW LONG DOES EPOXY FLOOR LAST?
The lifespan of an epoxy floor greatly depends on how well you care for it. It is important to keep your floor clean and protected from damage as much as possible, as this will help it last longer. While epoxy floors may be a little more expensive up front, they have a far lower cost of ownership than most other types of flooring over the years. If you have an epoxy floor that was installed correctly over concrete, it can last decades with proper care.